Check out Trai’s Denver Media Professional’s Interview — it’s a deep dive into her career both in Hollywood and Colorado, packed with career advice!
Craftwrite is the service offered by Trai Cartwright, MFA, a former Hollywood screenwriting consultant, content creator and story development specialist, and current screenwriting and film studies university professor. This wildly diverse and deep range of experience makes Trai utterly unique — she’s an expert in nearly every writing medium.
While working in Hollywood, she:
• Consulted on thousands of screenplays.
• Worked as a Development Executive, Story Editor and Content Creation Manager for 20th Century Fox, HBO, Paramount Pictures, New Line Cinema, and Universal Studios.
• Wrote scripts for Academy- and Emmy-award winning producers including Peter Saphier (Deer Hunter, Scarface).
• In TV, she worked for the legendary TV writers Jay Tarses (“The Bob Newhart Show”), William Rabkin (“Monk”), and reality TV godfather Mike Darnell.
• Worked for Leonardo DiCaprio’s online entertainment venture.
• Produced three independent films (two uncredited).
• Creative Executive at Prelude Pictures (Lost in Space, Black Dog).
• Optioned four of her own screenplays.
• Placed in the semifinals of major Hollywood screenwriting contests.
• Judged several of those major Hollywood contests.
• Studied fiction at the UCLA Writers Program.
• Mentored teen screenwriters for six years.
Since returning to her home state of Colorado, she has:
- Edited hundreds manuscripts and screenplays for clients, many of whom have gone on to be represented, published, or self-published.
- Teaches at University of Denver’s Professional Creative Writing graduate program, Western State Colorado University’s MFA, and University of Colorado Denver’s Film department.
- Presented at over 40 Writers Conferences across the Front Range.
- Associate produced local feature film “Stadium Anthems.”
- Co-Producer of the pilot for “Hidden Tigers,” a docu-series by Red Unicorn Films, currently on the film festival circuit. (www.wearehiddentigers.com)
- Commissioned as screenwriter for “Secret Ellington.”
- Producer of “Sundown Road,” a short film by Better Late Productions, currently on the film festival circuit.
- Founding Board Member of Women in Film & Media Colorado, and recently retired President. www.wifmco.org
- Founded a teen arts program (Explorati Teen Writers Boot Camp), which ran for 10 years.
- Produced seven special events for Bas Bleu Theater, raising nearly $30,000.
- Graduated from the University of California Riverside with an MFA in Fiction and Screenwriting, 2012.
- Founded and ran the Colorado Script Exchange and the Colorado Smart Film Investment Coalition for 3 years.
- Taught Screenwriting and Film Studies at UNC, Colorado Film School, FRCC, AIMS, and LCCC, as well as several private writers organizations and libraries.
- Just relaunched the Denver Screen Writers Meetup as the organizer of the oldest screenwriting organization in Colorado — 500 members strong!