Craftwrite is the service offered by Trai Cartwright, MFA, a former Hollywood screenwriting consultant, content creator and story development specialist, and current screenwriting and film studies university professor.This wildly diverse and deep range of experience makes Trai utterly unique — she’s an expert in nearly every writing medium.
While working in Hollywood, she:
• Worked with thousands of writers.
• Taught at writers conferences and writers groups across the Southwest.
• Worked as a Development Executive, Story Editor and Content Creation Manager for 20th Century Fox, HBO, Paramount Pictures, New Line Cinema, Universal Studios and Prelude Pictures.
• Wrote scripts for Academy- and Emmy-award winning producers including Peter Saphier (Deer Hunter, Scarface).
• In TV, she worked for the legendary TV writers Jay Tarses (“The Bob Newhart Show”) and William Rabkin (“Monk”), and reality TV godfather Mike Darnell.
• Worked for Leonardo DiCaprio’s online entertainment venture.
• Produced three independent films (two uncredited).
• Worked above the line on two major studio feature films (Lost in Space, Black Dog).
• Optioned four of her own screenplays.
• Placed in the semifinals of major Hollywood screenwriting contests.
• Judged several of those major Hollywood contests.
• Studied fiction at the UCLA Writers Program.
• Mentored teen screenwriters for six years.
Since returning to her home state of Colorado, she has:
- Edited over 100 manuscripts and screenplays for clients, many of whom have gone on to be represented, published, or self-published.
- Founded a teen arts program (Explorati Teen Writers Boot Camp), which is going into its ninth year.
- Produced seven special events for Bas Bleu Theater, raising nearly $30,000.
- Graduated from the University of California Riverside with an MFA in Fiction and Screenwriting, 2012.
- Taught Screenwriting and Film Studies at UNC, Colorado Film School, FRCC, AIMS, and LCCC, as well as several private writers organizations and libraries.
- Currently teaches at University of Denver’s Professional Creative Writing graduate program, Western State university’s MFA, and University of Colorado Denver’s Film department.
- Presented at over 20 Writers Conferences across the Front Range.
- Founded and ran the Colorado Script Exchange and the Colorado Smart Film Investment Coalition for 3 years.
- Associate produced local feature film Stadium Anthems.
- Co-Producer of Hidden Tigers, a docu-series by Red Unicorn Films (www.wearehiddentigers.com)
- Writer of Secret Ellington for Main Man Films.
- Founding Board Member of Women in Film & Media Colorado, and current President.